Explore the home of the 12 Olympian gods of Greek mythology on an 8-day hike of Mount Olympus, the highest mountain in Greece. Trek through the spectacular rock formations of Meteora, and discover hidden monasteries en route.
Olympus : Home of the 12 Olympian Gods in Greek Mythology and the tallest mountain in Greece, Mount Olympus forms a natural border between the regions of Thessaly and Macedonia in Northern Greece and is only 100 kilometers away from Greece’s second largest city, Thessaloniki. Its’ highest peak, Mytikas, rises to 2,918 meters (9,573 ft.) and is one of Europe’s highest. Mount Olympus is home to a huge variety of flora and fauna with several endemic plants. It is also an important nesting area for birds of prey.
Meteora : The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Meteora is a historic complex of lofty monasteries perched atop the unusually sculpted sandstone cliffs near Kalabaka in central Greece and one of the most spectacular, amazing and sacred sites to see on earth.
- Hike the peaks and pinnacles of Mount Olympus
- Discover the remote monasteries of the Meteora
- Visit one of the few still occupied monasteries
- Follow the trail of the 12 Olympian gods of Greek mythology
- Sleep under the stars in a mountain refuge
- Hike through the Enipeas Gorge to see picturesque waterfalls and lakes
- Explore the peaks of the Muses Plateau
- Enjoy some free time at leisure in Thessaloniki
Day 1: Thessaloniki Int. Airport* – Kastraki
On arrival at Thessaloniki Int. Airport (SKG)* you will be met by your guide. We will transfer you to Kastraki, a village situated among the spectacular rocks known as Meteora. We check into our guesthouse for the overnight stay. A dinner in a local tavern will follow.
– Meals: Dinner. Overnight stay in Kastraki
*Alternative Airports: Volos / Nea Aghialos (VOL) & Athens (ATH)
Day 2: Meteora
On our first hike we’ll walk between the rocky pinnacles of the famous monasteries of Meteora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The best way to explore the beauty of this unique area far from the madding crowd is on foot. So we’ll walk on the same old trails which were used by the monks a few hundred years ago and come across the sanctuaries built on these sandstone rock pillars.
- Trekking Time: 5 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Easy / Moderate
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Kastraki
Day 3: Meteora – Litochoro
After breakfast we’ll visit one of the six operating monasteries which are open to the public and continue our way having short breaks for photo shooting and enjoying the spectacular views of the monasteries and the gigantic rocky pinnacles. Then we’ll drive to Litochoro town on the slopes of Mount Olympus and check into our guesthouse for the overnight stay.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Overnight stay in Litochoro
Day 4: Litochoro – Muses Plateau
Our hiking trail starts from a location named «Gortsia», leading us through a beautiful dense forest to the Muses Plateau where our Mountain Hut is located at an altitude of 2650m (8694ft). The last part of the hike through the alpine scenery offers amazing views of the plains of Northern Greece, the Aegean Sea and the impressive peak «Stefani», the Throne of Zeus.
- Trekking Time: 6 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Meals: Breakfast, Packed Lunch. Overnight stay in Refuge C
Day 5: Muses Plateau – Peaks
After breakfast we start our hiking tour to the peaks. We walk along the foot of the peaks «Mytikas» and «Stefani» and then along the European walking path E4 up to the peak «Skala» (2866m/9403ft). Weʼll continue hiking to the peak «Skolio» (2912m / 9554ft), the second highest peak of the mountain, where we have a lunch break enjoying the magnificent view to the peak «Mytikas» 2918m / 9576ft before descending to Refuge A at 2100m.
- Trekking Time: 4 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Meals: Breakfast. Overnight stay in Refuge A
Day 6: Enipeas gorge
Early in the morning we start descending through a shady forest to the forest point of «Prionia» (1100m/3609ft). After a short break, following the E4 trail, weʼll enter the gorge of Enipeas. There are many picturesque waterfalls, bridges and small lakes to admire as we walk through this beautiful area, crossing the river many times until we reach Litochoro, our final destination.
- Trekking Time: 8 hours. Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Meals: Breakfast, Dinner. Overnight stay in Litochoro
Day 7: Thessaloniki
After breakfast we drive back to Thessaloniki where there is time for some last – minute shopping or a relaxing walk by the seafront. The city is the second biggest economic, industrial, commercial and political centre of Greece. In the evening we’ll enjoy all together a farewell dinner at a local tavern.
- Meals: Breakfast, Dinner. Overnight stay in Thessaloniki (or Volos, Athens)
Day 8: Departure
After breakfast, we transfer you to Thessaloniki International Airport* for your return flight.
- Meals: Breakfast. *Alternative Airports: Volos / Nea Aghialos (VOL) & Athens (ATH)
- 5 nights hotel accommodation in double rooms with en-suite shower/WC, air conditioning, TV, telephone and internet access.
- 2 nights in Mountain Huts, in dormitories.
- 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 picnic lunch and 5 dinners.
- Luggage transfer.
- All local transfers as per itinerary.
- English-speaking tour guide (full escort).
- All activities as per itinerary.
- We select accommodation which has been personally inspected and experienced by our team.
- Transfer to and from Greece
- All personal expenses
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Other sites of interest not included in the itinerary
- Outdoor activities which are not part of this itinerary
- Meals if not mentioned above
- Monastery Entrance fees
- Travel Insurance and Personal accident insurance
- Group size: 2 to 12 persons
- Minimum age requirement: 15 years. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Participants should be in good physical condition with a bit of hiking experience.
- Please note that this tour is subject to change at the discretion of the tour leader, according to local and weather conditions or circumstances beyond our control.
- We have chosen traditional hotels and guesthouses, with a friendly and very homely atmosphere. All our hotels and guesthouses are comfortable and fully equipped with heating, en-suite bathroom/shower, air-conditioning, telephone, and television.
- Services at the Mountain huts include: Bunk beds, pillows / pillow cases and blankets. There is also a restaurant, showers (only cold water) and toilets. Guests are welcome to carry their own bed linen / sheets and towels for personal usage.
Recommended equipment : Trekking shoes, Daypack, Walking poles, Waterproof wind jacket / warm, clothing, Casual clothing / comfortable clothing, Hat, Bathing Suit / Towel, Water bottle, Sun screen & Sun glasses, Insect repellent, Camera and Torch (Headlamp)
Watch a Video of the trekking experience in Mount Olympus National Park
Adventure Travel – Olympus & Meteora Prices per person
Trekking Travel : Mt. Olympus & Meteora Greece
(Transfers, accommodation, escort, guide, halfboard)